Monday, October 1, 2007

Fan-bits: Kathy Najimy

Kathy Najimy Rules!

On Saturday night we attended the Human Rights Campaign Annual Gala/Dinner for Minnesota. It was a wonderful night and spectacular event. The speakers were inspiring, the formal wear beautiful, the chicken...actually really good!

The headline speaker was Kathy Najimy (her site is: http://www.kathynajimy.com/). Kathy is a comedienne and actress and has been a outspoken feminist and AIDS activist for many years. You probably know her as Olive from the Kirstie Alley show "Veronica's Closet" or Millie on the show "Numb3rs" or maybe the best yet, Peggy Hill from King of the Hill!

We were fortunate to sit at the table next to Ms. Najimy's table. I think my blood pressure spiked when I saw her sit down. Yes, I'm a big fan. I didn't watch "Veronica's Closet" for Kirstie, honey. At the end of the meal (I seriously want that chicken recipe) Kathy was announced. She gave an uplifting and inspiring speech about equality and love. She also told a story of how she wore a big bunny suit to meet Bette Midler (her idol and mine). I won't repeat it here, hopefully you'll all hear her tell it some day because it's hysterically funny.

After the program was over, people rushed to Kathy's table to have pics taken and chat with her. I was waiting and waiting for an opening and finally I did something that NO one would ever guess of me...I jumped in and introduced myself. I think I babbled something about how happy I was that she spoke at the HRC dinner and how I'd wear a bunny suit to meet her. It was pretty crazy and thankfully she didn't call security. No, she was kind (asked me to call her Kathy) and thoughtful. I told her I had won her signed King of the Hill script at the event's auction. She said she'd send more items next time.

There's my 3rd brush with fame, but definitely the most significant one. Now I think I'll go frame that script and look at my King of the Hill action figures for awhile. Ciao!

No comments: